Thursday 16 July 2009

Disco is Back




So, Disco is back. Did it ever go away? Really?

Thanks to The Times, they've listed "15 classic disco floor fillers" , from Love Train by the O'Jays right through to Deee-Lite and Moloko. Everyone will have an opinion about a list like that. Good and bad.

Number 8 is Can You Feel It by The Jacksons. I guess with Michael's recent demise, this may get played more frequently on the dancefloors. But for me, it conjures up one memory and one memory alone; Jane Fonda and her aerobic workout. I can even remember the moves and her instructions over the music. Sadly, I find I can never dance to it now. Bad memories. I didn't have Jane's figure or studio style at the time. But there was lycra. Definitely lycra. Probably more Victoria Wood than Ms Fonda. Oh dear.




Anyway, back to now and what's important. Sister Sledge recently played Ibiza. OMG! Whatever age those sisters are, they'd be worth seeing anytime. I wonder if they are coming to the UK? I saw them at Paradise Lost, Watford. And believe me, it was fabulous. Not quite Studio 54 fabulous but definitely disco. Real disco.

1 comment:

  1. Ah Sister Sledge . . . reminds me of you and your friends singing We Are Family. And I used to go a subterranean gym in Covent Garden, where I swam (or, shock horror, stretched out on a sunbed), listening to Lost in Music pulsing away in the background.

    But if disco is back, can leg-warmers be far behind?

    ReplyDelete