Friday 10 July 2009

Beach Party



I'm back in Britain's Second City. The weather is anything but tropical but this has not stopped the powers that be from installing a beach. Yep!



Being landlocked does not mean you can't have your bucket and spade moments. While I absolutely love the idea of an urban beach, I'm not sure Birmingham has pulled it off. And that's a pity. It's a hybrid of airport gateway, Butlins performance platform, tropical beach club and good old British deckchairs so that you don't have to sit on the sand if you don't want to (or it rains).








The departure gate says "Come Back Soon", so I will. I don't want to write it off after one visit. Maybe I'll come back in the evening. After all, why shouldn't Birmingham citizens enjoy the beach?




I can't help but wonder, however, that if they'd put it by one of the city's other landmarks, the so-called Floozie in the Jacuzzi - just around the corner, the whole thing would have been much more effective. I think she would have helped it be a real beach party.

No comments:

Post a Comment