Friday 10 July 2009

An English Rose



Straight after picking up the ashes, we went home to plant a rose in her honour. I decided in front of the magnolia tree would be appropriate. Not for any floral symbolism but this is where the compost bin used to be and the dog and other canine partners in crime had a habit of raiding it frequently, despite barricades.

Last year I had something sad to commemorate and I chose a David Austin Spirit of Freedom rose for the occasion. It's thriving in the garden and has the most glorious scent and colour.



So this year I chose the Wisley 2008. Described thus: "Dainty, soft pink rosettes with a fresh, fruity fragrance. Vigorous and outstandingly healthy". That seemed so appropriate because although the dog had the big C in the end, she was, overall, an extremely healthy hound.



The rose-fest did not stop there. After tearing it down to Hampshire, I then had to get up to the Midlands for a wedding (late start, thank goodness). I was going solo - husband had other commitments - but being collected en route by best friend and her other half. I decided as the train was empty the roses could each have their own seat. Slightly insane, I know. But I have traveller's paranoia - if you can't see your luggage, it might disappear.



The couple have everything. There was no wedding list. So a rose or two seemed the ideal gift - he's a keen gardener and they have a lot of land. I chose the Wedding Day Rose (fortunately, I think I was the only one who did - phew!)



and another Wisley. Not quite his and hers but almost. The pink was for the groom.

1 comment:

  1. Ah David Austin. STOP immediately. You are making me homesick. LLGxx

    ReplyDelete