Friday 17 July 2009

Miss World



I'm still in Devon, finalising things for my ma's move. Sunday is d-day (for departure). I've got a return train ticket just in case her car is so full that I can't fit in (with the pets, plants and last-minute items).

Most of my stuff (ie mementos from childhood and beyond) are at my own house. In the loft. But, somehow, a few items remain in the South West. Today we discovered my International Doll Collection (as opposed to my domestic girls - Sindy and Daisy, the latter with her supersize sunglasses), which truly began with one of my mother's own dolls - Minnehaha - fully clothed, with baby, in a real leather dress and moccasins.



Or maybe it was her Hallmark Dolls of the Nations Collector's Album?




Even though I lived in the centre of London as a child, there was something so very glamorous about international travel. Even a trip to Mallorca seemed exotic. Of course, these were not my journeys but the adults in my life. If they came back with a doll, it was always an exhilirating moment. And, there is no gender bias - I have Mr and Mrs Dolls from faraway shores...

Sadly, I can no longer identify some of the dolls' nationalities. Maybe you can help? I'll let their national dress and make-up do the talking. Here come the introductions...(drumroll please):

Very much Miss Portugal




Miss Spain (I just adored her in all her flamenco finery)




Miss Mallorca (please note bread in hand and looking more like Sophia Loren than Miss Italy below)



Miss Italy (Not like any Italian woman I know but definitely a safer bet for someone in a similar position to Mr Berlusconi...I don't think she would have caused diplomatic sensitivities at the G8)




Mr and Mrs Singapore (they were a significant addition to the collection - now it was truly global)




Mr Greece (sadly, minus one of his shoe decorations)



And now for the mysteries...

She wants to shake you by the hand but where is she from?



I'm thinking somewhere along the Silk Route...



A latecomer to the EU?



PS Just for the record, I don't display my dolls anymore. In fact, I haven't seen them for at least a decade. Observing them now, there is a definite creepiness in the blank expression in the eyes. One doll that never, ever looked fake was the Sasha Doll. I still have mine and a quick search on the internet has revealed she could be worth several hundred pounds. Blimey. I could have a romantic weekend in Rome for the same money. Hmmm. Have doll, will travel.

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious & also sad-making. Last Christmas I did a HUGE purge of the family attic (my parents are divorcing & inevitably the house will be sold so am trying to get rid of stuff every time I go back to England). I too came across all my foreign dolls. The good condition ones went to charity, the rest to the tip. A wrenching experience. LLGxx

    ReplyDelete